These dehydrated marshmallows are pure enjoyable! Excellent for including to sizzling cocoa, baked items, and snack mixes, these crunchy sugar bombs are a cinch to make.
More often than not, our dehydrator recipes and experiments are accomplished for the sensible objective of preserving meals. However not this one–no, this dehydrated marshmallow recipe is only for the enjoyable of it!
Dehydrated marshmallows are candy, crunchy bundles of sugary enjoyable, simply ready to brighten up your subsequent mug of sizzling cocoa or make an look in cookies, brownies, or a S’mores-themed snack combine. And sure, their texture is rather like the cereal marshmallows you keep in mind from childhood 😉
On this publish, we’re sharing all of our suggestions and methods for easy methods to dehydrate marshmallows. You gained’t imagine how straightforward that is, so let’s get began!
Prepping Marshmallows for Dehydrating
Earlier than you begin prepping your marshmallows, ensure your counters, tools, and palms are clear & sanitized to stop contamination, which may spoil your batch down the road.
- Mini marshmallows: No prep wanted!
- Giant marshmallows: Lower in half or into quarters (to assist them dry sooner). Dip lower edges in powdered sugar to stop them from sticking.
The best way to Dehydrate Marshmallows
Dehydrating marshmallows is tremendous straightforward and an awesome newbie dehydrating challenge. As soon as your marshmallows are prepped, arrange your dehydrator and comply with these steps:
- Prepare the marshmallows in your dehydrator trays, leaving area between them. They do puff up a bit, so this retains them from sticking collectively and permits air to flow into.
- Dehydrate at 150ºF (65ºC) for 6-10 hours till the marshmallows are dry.
- Relying in your machine, you could have to rotate the trays sometimes to advertise even drying.
- To dry within the oven: Place the marshmallows on a parchment paper lined baking sheet within the oven at 150ºF (any increased than 150F will trigger the marshmallows to soften, not dry!). Prop the door open with a wood spoon to permit moisture to flee (watch out when you’ve got curious pets or kids).
Gear Highlight: Dehydrators
For those who’re out there for a dehydrator, we advocate shopping for one which has an adjustable temperature, which is able to mean you can dial within the drying temp to provide the greatest outcomes for particular person components. The dehydrator we advocate (and use) most frequently is the COSORI Premium. You may also try our greatest dehydrators publish for a comparability of all of the dehydrators we’ve used and would advocate.
The best way to inform when they’re accomplished
To check in case your marshmallows are accomplished, take away a couple of from the dehydrator and allow them to cool utterly. That is vital—they may nonetheless be gentle when heat, even when they’re correctly dehydrated!
As soon as cool, the marshmallows needs to be onerous and shatter when pressed firmly between your fingers. If they’re nonetheless gentle or gummy within the center, again into the dehydrator they go!
The excellent news is that you would be able to’t over dehydrate marshmallows.
The best way to retailer dehydrated marshmallows
For those who’re dehydrating marshmallows for snacking or baking initiatives and plan on consuming them inside every week or two, you possibly can retailer them in a sealed container or zip-top bag on the counter or in your pantry. Simply allow them to cool and place them in a sealed container.
Nevertheless, if correctly dried and saved, dehydrated marshmallows can final for months! Listed here are our suggestions for long-term storage:
- Cool: Let the marshmallows cool utterly earlier than transferring them.
- Retailer in a clear, hermetic container. For longer shelf life, vacuum seal.
- Use a moisture-absorbing desiccant packet if you happen to anticipate opening the container typically, or if you happen to dwell in an space with excessive humidity.
- Label the container with the date and another vital particulars
- Place the container in a cool, darkish, and dry place—within a pantry cupboard works effectively.
Vacuum sealing suggestions
We prefer to retailer our dehydrated meals in mason jars which were vacuum-sealed utilizing this handheld FoodSaver vacuum sealer together with these jar sealing attachments. This provides us the good thing about vacuum sealing with out the waste (and expense) of plastic vacuum sealing luggage. For the reason that jars are clear we ensure we retailer them in a darkish spot in our pantry to maintain them out of direct mild.
The best way to use
That is the enjoyable half! Listed here are some methods to make use of your dehydrated marshmallows:
- Toast them! For that traditional s’extra taste, put dried and cooled marshmallows on a lined baking sheet below a broiler for ~30 seconds till golden. These are SO good and value the additional effort!
- In selfmade sizzling cocoa
- In baked items like cookies or brownies
- As an add-in for path combine
- Make a S’mores snack combine with mini recess cups and mini graham cookies or cereal
- Add to cereal
- Dip bigger toasted marshmallows midway into melted chocolate and sprinkle with crushed graham crackers for a one-bite “s’extra” deal with
Stop your display screen from going darkish
Begin with clear palms, tools, and counter tops.
(Optionally available) For those who’re utilizing full sized marshmallows, lower them into smaller items to assist them dry sooner. Mud the lower edges with powdered sugar to stop them from sticking.
Prepare marshmallows in a single layer on dehydrator trays, guaranteeing there’s area between items to permit airflow.
Dehydrate at 150ºF/65ºC for 6-10 hours*, till the marshmallows are utterly dry. To check, allow them to totally cool, when pressed between your fingers or chew one—they need to shatter when totally dry.
Retailer in an hermetic container in a cool, darkish place. Optionally, place a moisture absorber within the container if you’ll open it typically or dwell in a moist space.
Oven directions: Place the marshmallows in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Dry within the oven at 150F (any increased will trigger them to soften)—if attainable, maintain the door propped open to permit steam to flee.
Serving: 20mini marshmallows | Energy: 33kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Sugar: 5.6g
*Diet is an estimate based mostly on info supplied by a third-party diet calculator