Due to the miracle of solar energy, Garmin claims its new GPS machine won’t ever want a recharge. Effectively, so long as there’s solar, anyway.
Lengthy-term winter expeditions will possible nonetheless desire a backup for emergencies. However for thru-hikers tackling the Appalachian Path or the Pacific Crest Path — each of which require at the very least a number of months — the Garmin eTrex Photo voltaic can supposedly go the gap with out recharging.
Even with out solar, Garmin claims the eTrex Photo voltaic’s battery will final 2.5 months. In Expedition Mode, the GPS machine boasts 1,800 hours (that’s 75 days) of life. So you can conceivably hike for a whole summer season with out utilizing the photo voltaic recharge and nonetheless have juice left for an SOS.
So for these wanting an extended and uninterrupted journey, the eTrex Photo voltaic appears like a strong possibility.
“For over twenty years, our iconic eTrex sequence has been recognized for its revolutionary options and capabilities, making it wildly fashionable amongst our clients,” Dan Bartel, Garmin vp of world client gross sales, mentioned in a press launch.
“Including infinite battery life by means of our solar-charging know-how is simply the newest instance of the innovation we try to offer in every of our out of doors merchandise.”
Garmin eTrex Photo voltaic: Options
The additional-long-lasting battery is much from the one function in Garmin’s first solar-powered GPS machine.
Out of doors lovers can even use it to view waypoints, observe their location, and navigate even below vivid daylight, due to the two.2-inch high-contrast show. When paired with a suitable smartphone, eTrex Photo voltaic customers can entry the Garmin Discover app, which permits for connectivity and knowledge entry in off-grid areas.
Multi-band GPS help gives “superior positional accuracy,” the corporate mentioned, making the machine splendid for monitoring in difficult environments. The machine, constructed to resist harsh circumstances, additionally has a digital compass for correct heading even when stationary.
Different key options of the app embrace:
- Cloud backup: Make the most of limitless cloud storage for straightforward overview, saving, and sharing of all mapping and journey knowledge.
- Plan forward: Create routes on the app and sync them to the hand held for handy journey planning.
- Sensible notifications: Keep related with good notifications for textual content messages, telephone calls, and extra when related to a suitable smartphone.
- Geocaching reside: Obtain computerized cache updates and immediately add findings to a saved profile through the app.
- Climate forecasts: Keep knowledgeable about real-time climate forecasts when paired with a suitable smartphone.
Garmin eTrex Photo voltaic: Pricing and Availability
The eTrex Photo voltaic handheld is offered now for $250.
For extra info, go to the Garmin web site.